How to avoid intrusions in your company, protecting the identity of your users and access to corporate applications and data
Do you know who accesses your company data right now? Can you automatically detect an intrusion risk and deny access to your data?
Recently, theft of passwords through fraudulent mailing practices has proliferated in an alarming way with the aim of inducing recipients to disclose their personal information (a technique called Phising and which, according to studies, is used in 81% of attacks on the companies).
To get a password, hackers send their victims an email on behalf of a real person with a text and a link asking the user to perform an action that actually directs you to a fake web page (imitating the login to Office 365 , to a bank, LinkedIn, etc.). Logically, once the user enters their credentials in those fraudulent web pages ..., these are compromised, immediately causing a severe breach of security in the company.
In addition to other situations that also compromise our passwords, if we consider the growth of application use in the cloud along with the fact that many users often reuse the same password to access them (thus avoid having to remember distinct passwords) the security threat to businesses is huge given the risk that a cybercriminal will only get a user password for an application that may not even be corporate!
The solution to this headache for the IT department again is in the cloud and is called Azure Active Directory, it can provide, through a unique and protected identity (single sign-on), secure access and validated two steps , to all the applications that are used by the users of the company, on-premise or in the cloud (Office 365, SalesForce, DropBox, Twitter and many thousands), also greatly simplifying IT management.
Benefits of Azure Active Directory
- Protection against situations of attempted impersonation, thanks to features that guarantee that the user is said to be adding a second verification at the time of identification (two-step authentication) and intelligent analysis systems to detect fraudulent uses based on detection of very suspicious behavior.
- If the user previously managed multiple passwords (even if he incurred the risk of establishing the same), with AAD the user ceases to have a password per application and instead has a single identity to access unified all applications approved by the company. Therefore, once you log in (on your computer or in an Office 365 App), the user will no longer have to enter any more credentials in the applications that are configured.
- Autonomy for the change and reestablishment of passwords, without IT dependencies.
Department of IT:
- Greater control over access to data and applications from the outside.
- Tranquility that the identity of the users is well protected against attempts of impersonation and its consequences.
- Simplification of the management of passwords, users, groups and accesses to applications Cloud.
Azure Active Directory Premium main features overview
E conditions Azure Active Directory
Azure Active Directory (AAD), is offered in several editions: Free, Basic, and those that incorporate security features that help us protect the users' identity and their access to our applications and data: Premium P1 and Premium P2.
Free Edition: Included in Office 365 , you can mainly:
- Synchronize local active directories with the cloud directory (Azure Active Directory)
- Possibility of using the same identity (user and password), to access other applications in the cloud. Limited to 10 applications.
- Password change self-service only for users created in the cloud (not synchronized).
- Synchronization of local active directory passwords with Azure Active Directory.
- Manage users and groups created in the cloud only.
- Possibility of having invited users using their own identity (coming from other companies that also use AAD). This feature, called B2B collaboration, allows to have up to 5 guests per license, the guest receiving the characteristics of the license.
Basic Edition: Features of the free edition and in addition:
- Password reset self-service for users created in the cloud.
- Possibility of using the same identity (user and password), to access other applications that we have in local (on-premise), typically web applications or that are behind a remote desktop, using the " AAD Application Proxy " feature. Limited to 10 applications.
- Customization of the login page to the cloud applications with the company brand. Very useful to avoid theft of credentials.
- Contract of service quality level of 99.9%.
Premium Edition P1: Features of the basic edition and in addition:
- Restore self-service and change password from outside the company for synchronized users.
- Authentication in two steps, to assure the identity of the user through any of these routes: SMS sending, call to mobile or Mobile App)
- Possibility of using the same identity (user and password), to access without limit to other applications that we have in place.
- Detection of applications in the cloud that the user uses, in order that the administrators can configure (force) the access to them using a single identity (single sign-on).
- License server MIM, for self-service reset and unlock password from within the company for synchronized users.
- Synchronization monitoring agent between the local AD and Azure Active Directory: Users, passwords, and domain controllers.
- Conditional access to limit access to applications from outside the company (based on group membership, geographical location and device status).
- Make changes to Groups from Office 365 that will be synchronized with the local active directory.
- Advanced security reporting.
Premium Edition P2: Features of Premium Edition P1 and in addition:
- Risk-based conditional access " Identity Protection" . Analyze strange behaviors (for example, you are logged in from very distant locations in an impossible time).
- Administration and protection of administrator accounts through Privileged Identity Management. It allows to assign the role of administrator to a user of temporary form, alerting of the change and supervising its access to the resources among other functionalities.
If you want to know in detail the services of identity management consult this infographic . If you want to go into detail about the features and functionalities, we recommend this link , and if you ask how Microsoft protects your active directory in the cloud, you can see it here .
In short, Azure Active Directory is the key to helping protect the identity of users, closing the main gateway to cybercriminals and also providing secure access to all applications (whether at home or in the cloud) by reducing management to IT departments.
Do you want to know more about how to improve security by protecting access to your data and applications?